The International Consortium on Governmental Financial Management, Inc. (ICGFM), a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization, is unique in the financial management community. Established in 1978, a distinguished and international group of financial management professionals from government and academia recognized the need for the various financial practitioners to engage in dialogue about their perspectives for improving government financial management. ICGFM became, and remains, the first "umbrella" organization composed of government entities, university departments, private firms, and professional associations devoted to improving financial management.
Purposes and Objectives
ICGFM, as the only worldwide grouping of organizations and people involved in governmental financial management, encourages its members to work together to promote a better understanding of professional financial management among public officials at all levels of government by-
· exchanging information and ideas -- providing an international clearinghouse of information relevant to governmental financial management;
· researching, training, and publicizing results;
· creating liaisons between the individual organizations to better promote mutual objectives;
· maintaining high professional standards among governmental financial managers;
· stimulating governments to recognize the critical importance of improved professional management of public resources; and
· collaborating in development programs which channel technical assistance to developing countries.
· The Consortium's activities are limited to the following areas which constitute the disciplines of governmental financial management: accounting, auditing, budgeting, data processing, debt administration, retirement administration, and treasury management. These areas provide the general frame of reference for the programs, activities, and operations of the Consortium.
The Consortium does not duplicate the goals or functions of other financial organizations. Its purpose is to provide a worldwide framework for bringing together financial managers and auditors at the municipal, state, federal, and international levels, as well as others who are interested in their work. It operates through a network of existing organizations and institutions and constitutes a worldwide channel of communications for them.